- Clean / Polish all flooring including: carpets, wood, tile and grout, marble, linoleum, etc.
- Clean light fixtures (remove dead bugs)
- Wash windows
- Clean window treatments
- Remove finger prints from switch plates
- Wash mirrors
- Clean appliances – inside and out (especially if the appliances are part of the sale)
- De-clutter (pack up unnecessary belongings)
- Clean bathrooms from top to bottom (replace shower caulk if necessary)
- Dust – look for cobwebs and pay special attention to dust magnets, such as televisions.
Pick your project and stick to it. It is easy to get distracted with another project or lost in nostalgia while packing up personal belongings. Make a choice to stay focused!
Use gravity to your advantage. For instance, dust high ledges and ceiling fans, allowing the dust to settle, before cleaning counters and table tops. Vacuuming is done last after the dust has reached the floor. In the same manner, wash shower ceilings and wall before cleaning the basin.
Work systematically: clean rooms from left to right and the center last. Working left to right gives a sense of order so you don’t have to ask yourself, “Did I clean that already?”